Thursday, April 9, 2009

Food Storage

Chris and I were both taught about food storage growing up. Part of being LDS is being prepared. Well we never really got into the whole food storage thing but we did go to case food lot sales and we always had food in our house. I love to cook I am just never in the mood to cook when I get home to work so we didn't use a lot of our food because Chris loves cereal and I love pasta so that is an easy dinner. Back in January we had a few surprises financially and so the grocery budget got slashed to nothing and it went on into February. Needless to say Chris and I realized how important it is to have food storage and most importantly have food you know how to use. My friend Chalet got me onto a program called grocery smarts and obsessive shopper ( look on my sidebar) and now even Chris loves to go shopping with me. I am kind of competitive so we shop at 5:30 am on Wednesday mornings. We don't go every week in fact I don't think we've gone a month but it is so nice to not need to go grocery shopping. We have also been ordering some stuff from the cannery every month too. So slowly but surely we have been building and we are doing OK. The food drive came around and I unloaded some of the shelves on them. I feel like what we are given we are suppose to share, so I share.

Here is our pantry in the kitchen, of course
Our cereal shelf, we actually need about 3 of these by the way Chris eats cereal. We need about 100 boxes... that's about 3 boxes a week, by himself. I am not kidding. I have not paid over $1.25 per box!

The other shelf downstairs. I will have it full in no time. The rubber maid containers are full of sugar and pasta. So here is our new hobby.

5 comments:

James & Amy Anderson Family said...

I know what you are talking about. We have had to slash our grocery bill also. We have used a lot of our food storage and now need to find some way to replenish it! I will have to check out your links.

Sara said...

We have been working on our food storage as well! Nothing like waiting until it rains to go buy the umbrella, right? Oh also I just love those purses you made. I might I have to try that one out for my girls. Thanks for the idea!

fivelive said...

hey it's nice to read I know what you are talking about when it comes to food storage. Their have been several times when we have had to use ours in the past. hey I made my blog privet so email me and I will add you on mamaember@gmail.com

Nicole Norris said...

That is so awesome! We unpacked our food storage into our cold storage and I realized how much we still need to get.

Cindy G said...

Where did you get your great shelves? They look really sturdy.